Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wheat Bread Recipe

So by request here is Nathan's aunt Merilee's wheat bread recipe which I learned to make while BJ was visiting last week. I like this recipe because you don't have to hand knead the dough. You do it all in the mixer.

2 1/2 cups water
2 tbls yeast
1/2 cup of sugar (or honey)
1/3 cup of potato flakes or pearls (or even leftover mashed potatoes I hear works)
just shy of 2/3 cup of oil (or butter or margarine)
3 cups of wheat flour
2 tsp salt
3 cups white flour
up to one more cup white flour

Heat the water in the microwave 1:30 to 1:45 minutes. Stir the yeast into the water to dissolve it. Add the sugar, oil, potato and wheat flour and mix with dough hook. After that is going add the salt last and mix for 10 minutes. Add the three cups of white flour one cup at a time to incorporate. You may want to scrape the dough down at this point and then add up to one more cup of four until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and the dough is still slightly sticky. I have been using Betty Crocker Potato Buds and I think that is why I don't need to add much if any of this last cup of flour. (Also for those of you without a 1/3 cup measuring cup it is 5 tbls and 1 tsp). With the mixer still running spray the sides of your mixing bowl with cooking spray. Remove the dough hook and let rise covered in the bowl for 45 minutes. Punch down the dough to remove the bubbles. Shape dough into loaves and place into greased pans. For me I get one 8" and one 10" loaf. Merilee does six mini loaves. Cover and allow to rise for 20-30 minutes. You want the loaves to be almost the size you want, they will rise more in the oven. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. My 10" loaf needs just a few more minutes. The loaves should be golden on top and not sound doughy when you rap you finger nails on them. I have only made the recipe three time but it has turned out pretty good every time so far. Now I just need to do it without BJ here. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment